Preschool Learning Centre
The Preschool follows a colourful programme of stories, songs and workbooks designed to increase their knowledge, listening and talking skills and to teach them their letters and numbers. They learn through the fun activities that they are involved in from day to day. This is a programme that they can join at any time and can repeat as many times as necessary, until they are ready to take their Reading Readiness Test. When the children test ready to learn to read they progress to the ABCs class.
The Preschool with Ace and Christi Reading Readiness Programme is a full school year programme designed to develop basic skills that prepare a student to be ready to learn to read.
The Preschool programme develops:- Correlation of stories to letter sounds; number recognition; sequencing skills; auditory processing; eye-hand co-ordination; visual perception; motor co-ordination and long-term memory.
Sixty PACEs (2,000 pages) filled with Bible and animal pictures, coordination development activities, and full-colour picture stories encourage a love for reading. A child learns the phonetic sounds for all letters so that when he is ready to learn to read, he will do so. He will also learn social skills, the wonders of God’s world, and the reality of God’s love.
The Supervisor imparts and teaches because at this level all work is done “lock-step” (at the same time), so that all students will be able to progress as a group from page to page and PACE to PACE.
A PACE is a bite sized piece of curriculum, which comes in the form of a colourful workbook and is designed to encourage learning and understanding and develop mastery of a concept. There are 12 PACEs in each core subject (Maths, Word Building, Social Studies and Science).
Each student works from their own PACE. The student will also learn social skills and about the wonders of God’s love and creation. They learn to love and care for others around them and to respect themselves. Indeed this programme will lay a solid foundation for us to build the rest of the student’s education.
A co-ordination development test is administered to all students at the beginning, middle and end of the pre-school year. Insights gained through these assessments will be important in preparing a child to be ready to learn to read. The results will highlight any areas of weakness, which can then be addressed at an early stage.
- Easy-to-use format for guiding children from pretesting through preschool graduation
- Suggestions for dynamic storytelling
- Bulletin board ideas
- Lists of materials and equipment needed
- Suggestions for discipline
- Concept review stories
- Benefits – foundation for Reading Readiness
- Prepares child for the ABCs with Ace and Christi (learning-to-read) programme
- Enables child to develop the skills, master the concepts, and achieve the level of physical development necessary for success in reading
- Lays a solid foundation on which to build the rest of a child’s education
- Saves preparation time and permits more efficient use of the teacher’s energy in interaction with the child
- Components of Preschool with Ace and Christi kit (for schools)
Staff training and qualifications
- All school staff are DBS certified.
- All Supervisors receive external professional training to administer and facilitate the Preschool Learning Centre.
- All learning centre monitors receive in-house training to facilitate the Preschool Learning Centre.
- All Supervisors and monitors complete preschool Reading Systems Training to administer the Preschool Learning Centre.